Portfolio and Projects
Here are two new pieces I just finished for a project. I mixed up the watercolor and digital paints, and it was so much fun.
First, with a pencil, I sketched everything on a regular sketch pad.
Then, I redrew everything in pen.
Then, with a pen again, I traced everything onto hot press watercolor paper. I used my homemade light table, which I will post about another day.
I chose hot press paper because the colors look brighter, and the paper is smoother. When I have tried to trace onto cold press paper, my pen jumps all over the place.
Then I painted with my watercolors. There are a few places, like the small boat, the girl’s headgear, that I did wet-on-dry. I usually prefer wet-on-dry. But for the ocean water, I had to do wet-on-wet…because it’s the ocean. It’s all wet.
The make the middle girl’s shirt have a little texture, I blotted it with a paper towel as it was drying.
Then I scanned everything in at 600 dpi.
So, the clone tool became my new best friend.
The leaving the island picture only required some small fixes. The funnels on the ship bothered me. I liked the third one back the best, so I selected and copied it over the first and second funnels. Then I made the sky a gradient behind the clouds.
The arriving in America scene took a little more work. I used the clone tool to copy the first boat window and paste it over the other three windows, and then I moved all the windows down a few centimeters. I cloned along the edges of everything to make it all a little neater. Then I added a gradient to the sky and the boat windows.
I would have liked to do the skies in the pictures with watercolor, but the statue and the clouds were too hard to work around. I tried to use my masking fluid, but it was getting all clumpy and just wasn’t working for me.
Then, in the original scan, the cables stretched at the front of the ship were bothering me, so I redrew them in straight lines with the pencil tool. Then I had to clone stamp over the old ink lines, which was a lot easier than I expected it to be.
The clone stamp worked really well because it pickup up the colors that I wanted and also the texture of the paper. I love clone stamp.